Red Velvet Cupcakes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 packet butter cake mix, prepared according to packet instructions
- 1 tsp rum essence
- 2 tsp red food colouring
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 100g unsalted butter
- 75g cream cheese
- 175g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 170˚C.
- Beat the butter cake mixture with the rum essence, food colouring and half the vanilla until smooth.
- Spoon into 12 lined ½ cup muffin moulds. Bake for 18-20 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- Combine the butter, cream cheese and remaining vanilla in a bowl and whip with hand beaters until very smooth.
- Pipe cream cheese icing on 11 cupcakes. Crumble the remaining cupcake onto the icing, then serve.